Warning: The following contains language of textuality, ridicule, satire, farce, and surrealism. Viewer discretion is advised.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Information is free

You know what I'm talking about. I knew you have done it. And you knew I have done it.

So how exactly is information free? Does it imply information have a price? If so, who determines the price? Can it be free then?

I guess it depends on who owns the information. Does the creator of the information owns it? What if the information contains other information? Should we give credit to all who contributed? Anyway, I don't want to get into the topic of copyright or copyleft... for that matter.

With the advent of the internet, the speed and proliferation of information is phenomenal. Many new media has emerged and quickly became part of our lives. Sharing of information is key to the success of a lot of chic social networking utilities such as facebook, and file sharing technologies such as napster, emule, and bittorrent.

A reminder for you and me - Just because information can be freely obtained, does not mean that it is free.

No comments: